I teach voice and performing skills with an emphasis on healthy, expressive singing of all styles to aspiring performers of any level, ability or age.
- My main goal is always to foster a love and passion for singing and performing in my students, while instilling in them the importance of healthy vocal technique.
With the guidance of my vocal mentors, Cornelius Reid and Julian Patrick, along with my background in and passion for the American Musical Theater canon and classical music, I am very successful at:
- developing all ages, genders, and types of voices
- preparing my students for whatever musical outlet they desire, be that a career in the performing arts, an audition for college, or their local theatre production.
I want every student to embrace vocal training as a lifelong pursuit, and know that continuous exploration of the voice is a process that is just as exciting and rewarding as the product.
Good vocal health with a strong, clear idea of technique opens up a world of possibilities of musicality, theatricality, not to mention repertoire choices and career longevity.
- With a healthy voice, any style of singing is available to you.
My philosophy of vocal technique, based on Mr. Reid’s work of register mechanics, is perfectly suited for addressing technical vocal issues, especially the unique needs of singing Musical Theatre:
- there is such a thing as a healthy belt
- all singers should develop their head voice for a complete, versatile voice and long-lasting vocal health.
The technique of balancing the registers not only produces healthy, viable voices, but also reveals the individual singer’s unique voice.
I want each student to discover what makes their voice special and distinctly their own.
- This helps them to explore music artistically and creatively.
- I believe singing is fundamentally theatrical, no matter the genre, and that a thorough understanding of the text, diction, context, character, musicianship, and perhaps most important of all, musicality, are integral to expressive singing. Technique alone will not produce results without particular attention to these other essential elements.
I am thrilled to say that the majority of my private students who pursued it, now work in their chosen profession of being professional performers in both Musical Theatre, opera, and even pop and R&B. I am incredibly proud to have a number of students reach their ultimate goal of performing on Broadway, including Waitress, Hairspray, Wicked, and The Color Purple. They are in National Tours and work in Regional houses all over the United States and Canada.
Equally rewarding and vitally important, I prepare my students for:
- college entrance and scholarship auditions
- auditions and roles for local theatre companies and school productions
- With my long tenure at AMDA, I provide my students with an insider’s perspective on what schools and theatre companies look for in perspective students and cast members.
Knowing that I have contributed to my students’ overall success means everything to me.
I am pleased to answer any questions you have.